IMPORTANT NOTE

Hello, and welcome.
I would like to inform you that I AM MOVING.
...well, sort of. I have started a new blog, Oui Crochet, that focuses just on crochet, crochet patterns, and crochet resources. I am in the process of building it up as a one stop shop for all things crochet, and I am very excited about it. I hope you will come over and check out my progress. :)
I will be moving my patterns from this site, to my new site. My idea is to leave this site active, so that you can still access other aspects of this site. I will also leave a modified "introduction" post where each pattern is on this site, as to keep all links active and make it so that you can easily locate the pattern's new home. As an added bonus, you will also find new printable/downloadable versions of my patterns.
I apologize for any inconvenience, but I assure you, this change is a positive one. I look forward to seeing you at Oui Crochet.
Happy Crocheting!


Tuesday, August 14, 2012

No-Bake Granola Bars


I love homemade granola! (Check out my recipe here.)
I like that I can customize it to my (and my family's) taste.
I like that I can make it various ways and without preservatives.
I like that I can sneak so many healthy things into it!

I decided that I wanted to try to make some no-bake granola bars out of some yummy, homemade granola. I've seen various no-bake cookie recipes using sweetened condensed milk, but I didn't want to go that route. Then, I had an idea! I love Rice Crispy Treats. Why not "marry" the two?
Now with Rice Crispy Treats, I use tons of marshmallows. I use way more than the recipe calls for- ooey-gooey stickiness, at its best. I didn't want that for these bars, so I cut the marshmallow content down. Way down.

The result? Better than I had hoped!!!

Here's what I did:

I started by making my own homemade granola. This can be made in the microwave by mixing the ingredients, then microwaving in small batches for 2 minutes at a time, stirring in between, until it is golden brown. Or, if you prefer, you can bake it or cook it on the stove top. I have had success with all three methods.

Here is the granola that I used this time:


Granola:
2 cups 5 grain cereal (this has oats, rye, wheat, triticale, barley, and flax seed meal)
2 cups whole rolled oats
1 cup almond slices
1/4 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup brown sugar + 2 TB water
2 TB butter or margarine (I used Smart Balance), melted
2 TB coconut oil, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

  1. Mix the grains, almonds, and coconut in a large bowl. 
  2. Mix the brown sugar/water, butter, coconut oil, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon in a smaller bowl. 
  3. Add the liquid mix to the grain mix stir well to coat.
  4. Microwave in small batches for 2 minutes at a time, stirring each time, until golden brown. Be careful not to burn.
  5. Pour onto a cookie sheet and mix in the dried cranberries. Spread it out to cool.
No-Bake Granola Bars
(makes about 20 bars)
4 cups of granola
15 large marshmallows
1 TB coconut oil (or you can use butter or margarine)

  1. Grease a 11x13 pan or a cookie sheet and a spatula with coconut oil, cooking spray, butter or whatever other preferred method you have. Just make sure it's slippery.
  2. Put the marshmallows and the coconut oil in a large microwave safe bowl, microwave it for 30 seconds, or until the marshmallows are all puffed up.
  3. (Remove from microwave) add the 4 cups of granola to the marshmallows. Stir to coat well.
  4. Spread mixture in the pan and flatten it with the spatula. 
  5. Let it cool. (...or cut one now, for an ooey-gooey, warm treat... quality control, right?)
  6. Cut into bars (I used a pizza cutter for this). Store in an airtight container.


I'm not sure what I like best about these bars.
  • They are super-easy to make- you can make them in the microwave!
  • You can add pretty much anything you like in them. 
  • You can hide all kinds of yummy, healthy things in them, and the kids still think they are candy. It's true. My 5 year old asked me, "Mom, is this candy?" I, of course, said, "Yes." She smiled and told me how yummy it was. I mean, come on... you can't beat that, right? 
  • They are yummy! I mean, I am borderline addicted to them! 
I am already thinking of different flavor combinations for these bars.
I think a mini chocolate chip and peanut combo would be great! I could even add some natural peanut butter to the marshmallow mixture.

What flavor combo do you think would be great?

Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. I bet these are so addicting! I love homemade granola too. Stopping by from Crafty Moms Share. I am a new follower. Hope to see you at True Aim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ARE addicting! lol
      Thanks for stopping by! :-)

      Delete
  2. This is great! i LOVE no bake recipes!! I will be making these soon my two year old will love these! I am a new follower. I would love it if you came to visit me at www.battlingthehomefront.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'm heading to your blog, now! :-)

      Delete
  3. I was just oggling this post while flipping through your blog the other day! I love granola, but am usually too lazy to make it into bars like this, but I think I will try to make time for this- marshmallow! Yum! I usually use honey, but this will be sweeter ;) I'm working on those questions you sent me, will have them to you by end of day (hopefully!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! These are sooo easy to make! Once you have the granola, it takes only about 5 minutes to make it into bars. :-)

      Delete
  4. Pinned this and I absolutely will be making these. They sound fabulous! Thanks so much for linking this up to our weekend Wonders party. Hope to see you back on Thursday :)

    http://thethriftinessmiss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello.
    Visiting from You're Gonna Love It.

    My first comment went poof!
    I love granola bars and usually have one for breakfast with my fruit smoothies. I don't cook, but I'm sure my wife would love to try and make these. Hope you won't mind if I copy the recipes for her. Thanks for sharing.

    Flowers In Your Hands

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting feedback from my readers!
Please feel free to leave a comment or share your ideas!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...