IMPORTANT NOTE

Hello, and welcome.
I would like to inform you that I AM MOVING.
...well, sort of. I have started a new blog, Oui Crochet, that focuses just on crochet, crochet patterns, and crochet resources. I am in the process of building it up as a one stop shop for all things crochet, and I am very excited about it. I hope you will come over and check out my progress. :)
I will be moving my patterns from this site, to my new site. My idea is to leave this site active, so that you can still access other aspects of this site. I will also leave a modified "introduction" post where each pattern is on this site, as to keep all links active and make it so that you can easily locate the pattern's new home. As an added bonus, you will also find new printable/downloadable versions of my patterns.
I apologize for any inconvenience, but I assure you, this change is a positive one. I look forward to seeing you at Oui Crochet.
Happy Crocheting!


Thursday, June 7, 2012

Microwave Mac N Cheese (recipe)

...only don't call it mac n cheese around my kids!
If you do, they will turn up their noses and not touch it. When it comes to mac n cheese, these kids are blue box, Kraft purists! NOTHING else will do.
So, to them, I called this "Cheesy Pasta".
It worked.
They ate it up.
I felt like a genius.

Last week, I needed to make lunch. I had pasta shells and I had cheese. I vaguely remembered a microwave mac n cheese recipe shared by my Quality Cook friends a  few years ago. (By vaguely, I mean that I remember that there was a recipe for it and that I needed a big bowl so that the liquid didn't boil over).
I poked around online and looked at a few different recipes, but they all called for flour. I was out. Yes. Me. I was out of flour!
I couldn't find what I wanted/needed, so I decided to try something on my own.
And it worked!
I liked it and the kids liked it. They even asked for more!


The recipe is easy. Just remember to use a BIG bowl.

Microwave Mac n Cheese (or Cheesy Pasta)
What You Need:
Large (2 qt or bigger) microwavable bowl with tight fitting lid
2 cups small shell pasta
2 cups hot water
3 TB butter

3 TB cornstarch
1 1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded


What You Do:

  1. Put the pasta, water, and butter in the bowl and put the lid on tightly. Microwave on high for 5 minutes.
  2. Keep it covered, and microwave on medium power for another 5 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, combine the milk and cornstarch in a small bowl and whisk with a fork until it is smooth. Add the spices to the milk/cornstarch.
  4. Add the milk mixture to the pasta. Add the cheese. Stir, replace the lid, and microwave for another 8-12 minutes, stirring every 4 minutes until the pasta is tender and the sauce is thickened. (I only needed 8 minutes, but some microwaves need a little more or less.)
  5. Serve.


Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Love your blog theme. Have to try the microwave mac and cheese. So easy for the kids. New follower from TGIF. Love for you to follow back when you get a chance ;)

    http://naptimeshopper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and following! I'm heading over to your blog now! :-)

      Delete
  2. Looks yummy.......Thanks for linking up @ CountryMommaCooks : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting feedback from my readers!
Please feel free to leave a comment or share your ideas!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...