IMPORTANT NOTE

Hello, and welcome.
I would like to inform you that I AM MOVING.
...well, sort of. I have started a new blog, Oui Crochet, that focuses just on crochet, crochet patterns, and crochet resources. I am in the process of building it up as a one stop shop for all things crochet, and I am very excited about it. I hope you will come over and check out my progress. :)
I will be moving my patterns from this site, to my new site. My idea is to leave this site active, so that you can still access other aspects of this site. I will also leave a modified "introduction" post where each pattern is on this site, as to keep all links active and make it so that you can easily locate the pattern's new home. As an added bonus, you will also find new printable/downloadable versions of my patterns.
I apologize for any inconvenience, but I assure you, this change is a positive one. I look forward to seeing you at Oui Crochet.
Happy Crocheting!


Friday, March 30, 2012

Apple Shortcake Turnover (Recipe for the Sandwich Maker )

If you've visited my blog regularly, you'll know that I've been kind of obsessed with my waffle maker lately. In fact, I have another waffled post hanging out in the wings as I type... BUT, I really, really wanted to share this one first.

Have y'all heard of the Sandwich Maker? It's kinda like a waffle maker, but for sandwiches. It's really cool! Mine looks like this:



All of my "waffling" got me to wondering what I could "sandwich". Well, I had some "Jiffy" mix on hand (from the waffle post waiting in the wings), and some apples. I decided to try a dessert. Here's what I came up with:


Apple Shortcake Turnovers

What You Need:
Filling:
1 apple cut into small chunks
1/2 tsp. flour (I used it... it's optional, though)
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. packed brown sugar
1 tsp. butter
dash of salt

Dough:
1 cup Jiffy Mix
1 TB sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 TB melted butter

What You Do:
Filling:
  1. Put your apple chunks into a small microwavable bowl. 
  2. Add the flour, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
  3. Put the butter on top.
  4. Loosely cover the bowl and microwave it for 1 minute. Give it a stir and microwave it for a minute more. (Alternatively, you can cook apples on the stove until tender.) 

Dough:

  1. Mix the dough ingredients together in a small bowl.
  2. Knead the dough about 20 times.
  3. Divide the dough in half.
(Heat the sandwich maker while you are preparing the dough.)

Putting it all together:

  1. Take half of the dough and divide it in half again. Flatten each piece out into a circle-ish or square-ish shape. You want the dough to be on the thin side.
  2. Place the flattened dough pieces onto the sandwich maker.
  3. Put filling into the indentations.
  4. Divide and flatten remaining dough and place on top of the filling.
  5. Close your sandwich maker and let it cook for a couple of minutes. Most of the steam should have disappeared by the time it is finished.
  6. Open sandwich maker, remove turnovers, and slice.
  7. Enjoy!






While these shortcake turnovers are really yummy all by themselves, I think they would be even yummier with a drizzling of icing.
If you really want to go all out... try them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a little bit of caramel sauce!

You can get creative. Experiment with different fillings and toppings.
The possibilities are endless!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback from my readers!
Please feel free to leave a comment or share your ideas!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...