IMPORTANT NOTE

Hello, and welcome.
I would like to inform you that I AM MOVING.
...well, sort of. I have started a new blog, Oui Crochet, that focuses just on crochet, crochet patterns, and crochet resources. I am in the process of building it up as a one stop shop for all things crochet, and I am very excited about it. I hope you will come over and check out my progress. :)
I will be moving my patterns from this site, to my new site. My idea is to leave this site active, so that you can still access other aspects of this site. I will also leave a modified "introduction" post where each pattern is on this site, as to keep all links active and make it so that you can easily locate the pattern's new home. As an added bonus, you will also find new printable/downloadable versions of my patterns.
I apologize for any inconvenience, but I assure you, this change is a positive one. I look forward to seeing you at Oui Crochet.
Happy Crocheting!


Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Plumb Jam {Rice Cooker Recipe}

Remember when I made oatmeal in the rice cooker? If not, you can read about it here. The success of that meal, got me thinking about what other things I can make in the rice cooker. I tried cream of wheat, but it requires more stirring, so that it wouldn't burn, and it is just faster to make on the stove top.
I tried beans... that works GREAT and will be the subject  of another post, another time, since I forgot to take pictures! Oops!
This time, I wanted to try jam. We had a bag of plumbs that were about to "turn", and I didn't want them to go to waste. I figured a jam would be perfect!
I made a small batch, but the recipe can easily be doubled.

I left the skins on the plumbs because I wanted the purple color. Next time, I will likely peel the plumbs and be happy with a more golden color, because it was kind of a pain to fish out the little pieces of peel!



Rice Cooker Plumb Jam
(Makes about 1 1/2 cups)
What You Need:
5 plumbs, pitted, peeled, and quartered
1 apple, cored, peeled, and quartered  (I used fuji)
1/4 cup water (or apple or white grape juice)
1 TB lemon juice
2/3 cup sugar

What You  Do:

  • Combine all ingredients in the rice cooker. 
  • Turn the rice cooker on, and let it do its thing. You can stir after 15 minutes, just to make sure the sugar isn't burning, but it isn't completely necessary.
  • Once the rice cooker finishes- mine took 47 minutes- remove the lid and mash the cooked fruit with a potato masher. The jam should be finished now, but if it looks a bit too thin (keeping in mind, it will thicken more as it cools), you can turn the rice cooker back on and cook it down a bit more. Just watch it so it doesn't burn.
  • Spoon the jam into a jar (or other container) and let cool. Refrigerate and use within a month.


Photobucket
Click here to see which super parties I link up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback from my readers!
Please feel free to leave a comment or share your ideas!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...