IMPORTANT NOTE

Hello, and welcome.
I would like to inform you that I AM MOVING.
...well, sort of. I have started a new blog, Oui Crochet, that focuses just on crochet, crochet patterns, and crochet resources. I am in the process of building it up as a one stop shop for all things crochet, and I am very excited about it. I hope you will come over and check out my progress. :)
I will be moving my patterns from this site, to my new site. My idea is to leave this site active, so that you can still access other aspects of this site. I will also leave a modified "introduction" post where each pattern is on this site, as to keep all links active and make it so that you can easily locate the pattern's new home. As an added bonus, you will also find new printable/downloadable versions of my patterns.
I apologize for any inconvenience, but I assure you, this change is a positive one. I look forward to seeing you at Oui Crochet.
Happy Crocheting!


Monday, May 7, 2012

Sunflower Sun Hat

I think it is safe to say that my favorite flower is the Sunflower. A while back, I crocheted a Sunflower Headband.
Recently, I bought some brown and yellow Peaches & Creme yarn for a project that I had in mind, but it didn't quite turn out how I wanted. I unraveled what I had done, there it was...
Sitting there... Waiting...
And there I was...
Sitting there... Looking at it...
The same thing kept coming back into my mind every time I looked at it.
Sunflowers.
I really, really wanted to try to make a Sunflower sun hat.
Soooooo....

I decided to give it a try. First the hat part. It's pretty standard. Your typical double crochet, worked in a round, hat. My first one was too small. I started over. This time it worked. It fit all three of my younger girls (7, 5, & 1 1/2).

Now on to the petals. Trial and error here, too. Once I figured out how I wanted them, I continued the pattern all around. Finished!
Easy, right?
Too easy! They flopped. I wish I took a picture! I put the hat on my daughter and the petals flopped down in her face. Oops!
I put the project to rest for the night, and went to bed. I woke in the middle of the night with an idea. I could use two strands together, and start the yellow a row earlier.
The next day, I put my idea into action, and it WORKED!

Click the link below, for the pattern.
Sunflower Sun Hat






Photobucket

20 comments:

  1. Thanks, Lauren! I have to say, this is probably my favorite thing I've made. Plus, my daughter will actually wear it instead of pulling it off after 5 seconds! Yay! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely precious!!!
    I know lots of little girls that will love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. THis is adorable!! Thanks for sharing at Two Sasters!! I think I got the picture to show up...take a look:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cuteness!! I love this hat! Thanks so much for sharing this at Fantabulous Friday @ Little Becky Homecky!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Cari and Courtnee! And thanks for fixing the picture! :-)

    Thank you Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just too cute!! I wish I was a better crocheter and I would make one for my daughter to wear in her sunflower garden this summer. Thanks for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for linking up at what's cluckin'! You were our top viewed link, stop by tomorrow for your button!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet! I love, love, love this hat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would be so cute in all colors and become a flower petal hat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would you have any suggestions for a 3-6 or 6-12 mon pattern? I don't have any babies to reference. Absolutely beautiful pattern though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! For a 3-6 month hat, just make 6 dc in the beginning loop, then work the same as the pattern states up to round 7. This should give you 36 dc around. Once you get to 7, work it, and as many rounds as you need until the hat measures 6 1/2 inches in length. Once you start the petals, you will get 6 petals.
      For the 6-12 months, do the same thing, except start with 7 dc in the beginning ring. This will leave you with 42 stitches at round 7. Work it until it is 7- 7 1/2 inches in length. You will get 7 petals. :-)

      Delete
  11. Thank you!! I so very much appreciate it!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting feedback from my readers!
Please feel free to leave a comment or share your ideas!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...