First I tried the batter topped with chorizo and some cheese... it didn't work too well.
So then I did it like this:
What You Need:
a box of cornbread mix (or your own cornbread mix) + ingredients to mix it up.
bacon grease (or grease of your choice for the waffle maker)
What You Do:
- Dice the onion and cook it for a couple of minutes (in a frying pan on med- med-hi heat... bla, bla, bla), until it starts to get tender.
- Add the chorizo and cook thoroughly.
- While the chorizo is cooking (and you are occasionally stirring it around so that it doesn't stick/burn), heat your waffle maker and mix your cornbread according to the package directions.
- Grease up your waffle iron and waffle some cornbread with cheese on top. (look here for instructions)
- Move the waffle to a plate, top with the chorizo, fry up an egg the way you like it, and put it on top.