***This is an old post moved here from my old blog.***Welcome to Leftovers- Part 3! In Part 1, we talked about ideas to use leftover chicken, and in Part 2, we talked about beef. Today we will talk about leftover spaghetti sauce. I like to make a big ol' pot of sauce whenever we have pasta, because I love using the leftovers for other meals. Alternatively, I simply freeze the sauce, so that I have it ready for a last minute meal. Just simply thaw and heat. Using the defrost feature of the microwave is an excellent way to thaw the sauce quickly. Now, let's ask the question:
What Can I Make With Leftover Spaghetti Sauce?
- Make Soup. I like to do this with a meat sauce. Add some broth, cooked veggies, small pasta or cheese tortellini, and maybe some beans, to the pasta sauce and simmer.
- Meatball Subs. heat the sauce and add cooked meatballs for meatball subs.
- Homemade Pizza or Calzones. Leftover spaghetti sauce makes a great sauce for homemade pizzas and calzones.
- "Shepherds Pie". Make a shepherds pie by browning some ground beef, adding some leftover sauce and some cooked veggies. Put in a baking dish and top with mashed potatoes. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
- Polenta. Heat the sauce and use it to top polenta.
- Dipping Sauce. Heat the sauce and use it as a dipping sauce for bread sticks. Melt some cheese in the sauce got added, gooey, yumminess.
- Stuffed Shells. Combine some leftover chicken or beef, mushrooms, garlic, parsley, and an egg in a food processor and process until well blended. Cook and drain large shell noodles. Fill the shells with the meat mixture, place in a casserole dish, top with cheese and leftover sauce and more cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- Cheesy Bread Pizzas, Spread some sauce over bagels, English muffins, pitas, sourdough bread, or leftover garlic bread. Top with cheese and broil until the cheese is bubbly.
- Potato Skins. Top baked potato skins with sauce, cheese, and a little basil & bake until heated through and cheese is bubbly.
- Sloppy Joes. Brown some ground beef with chopped onions and bell peppers. Add in some sauce and heat through. Serve on buns or rolls with cheese.
- Pasta Bake. Brown some ground beef and add leftover sauce. Add to cooked and drained pasta, such as rigatoni or penne, put in a casserole dish, and top with cheese. Bake until bubbly. OR... Mix cooked and drained pasta with pesto sauce and put it in a casserole dish. Top with leftover sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
How do you like to use leftover spaghetti sauce?