***This is an old post moved here from my old blog.***Let's talk leftovers... or as I like to call them, "Strategically Planned Meals"- makes me sound smarter, right? (Just say yes.)
Whether you are on a budget or you just don't like wasting food, making plans for your meal's leftovers is a smart, frugal thing to do. I have decided to compose a series of Frugal Friday posts with ideas for a few frugal ways to use your leftovers.
One idea is simple and it can be done with whatever leftovers you have. Make your own TV dinners. Simply freeze individual portions of your leftovers and have them ready for a quick lunch or dinner for one.
In this series, each post will focus on one main dish. I sometimes like to make extras just so that I have the leftovers ready to be re-invented into another great dish. So ask yourself this:
What Can I Make With Leftover Chicken?
You can find one of my favorite chicken recipes here. I like it, not only because it tastes GREAT, but because it makes a LOT. Perfect for leftovers! Here are some ideas to put those leftovers to good use:
- Make a broth. Remove the meat from the bones, place the bones in a large pot of water with some garlic, onions, celery, carrots, and seasonings of your choice to make your own chicken broth. Just let it simmer away for a few hours, then strain it. The broth can be used in various recipes. You can freeze it in small portions to have on hand anytime.
- Make Soup. Simmer some veggies in the broth until they are tender, then add your chicken and some leftover rice or noodles.
- Top a salad. Make a simple salad into a main dish just by adding chicken!
- Make Chicken and Dumplin's. Make some dumplings (or cut up some canned refrigerated biscuits), and add them to a large pot of your homemade broth- make sure the broth is at a good simmer first. When the dumplin's are about finished, add the chicken.
- Make it into a country-style gravy. Make your favorite white, country-style gravy, and add some of your cut up leftover chicken to it and heat through. Serve over mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles. Add a side serving of steamed or roasted veggies for a complete meal!
- Make a Pot Pie. Mix your cut up chicken meat with Cream of Whatever Soup, and some cooked veggies, and add to a pie crust. Bake until golden brown.
- Make a Stuffing Casserole. Mix your cut up chicken meat with Cream of Whatever Soup, add cooked veggies if you wish, and top with boxed stuffing mix and bake.
- Make Chicken Salad for sandwiches. Chop up the chicken meat and use it in your favorite chicken salad recipe.
- Make Chicken Enchiladas. Cut up the chicken and use it in your favorite chicken enchilada recipe.
- Make Chicken Quesadillas. Cut up chicken and add it to your quesadillas.
- Make Chicken Alfredo. Mix cut up chicken with cooked pasta, broccoli, and alfredo sauce.
- Make Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches. Shred chicken and mix with your favorite barbecue sauce. Heat and put in a roll. Easy and yummy.
Now, I know that there are many more ideas out there for great ways to use leftover chicken! If you have an idea, I would love to hear it!