IMPORTANT NOTE

Hello, and welcome.
I would like to inform you that I AM MOVING.
...well, sort of. I have started a new blog, Oui Crochet, that focuses just on crochet, crochet patterns, and crochet resources. I am in the process of building it up as a one stop shop for all things crochet, and I am very excited about it. I hope you will come over and check out my progress. :)
I will be moving my patterns from this site, to my new site. My idea is to leave this site active, so that you can still access other aspects of this site. I will also leave a modified "introduction" post where each pattern is on this site, as to keep all links active and make it so that you can easily locate the pattern's new home. As an added bonus, you will also find new printable/downloadable versions of my patterns.
I apologize for any inconvenience, but I assure you, this change is a positive one. I look forward to seeing you at Oui Crochet.
Happy Crocheting!


Friday, July 20, 2012

Searching For Super-Mom: Meet Becky


I would like you all to meet Becky!
Becky is a WAHM of two living in "the hoppin metropolis of Baxter, Minnesota"! In addition to being Mom to her two kidsSara age 6 and Jake age 9, Becky can "milk a goat and shoot a nail gun like nobody’s business." One of her favorite snacks is hot coffee and hard cheddar cheese. She adores naps and loathes overflowing garbage cans, and she admits, "Did I mention I am quirky?" As you read through her interview, I am sure that you will be as amused by her quirkiness and her honesty as much as I am!

If you want to experience more of Becky's amusing antics, you're in luck! She has been blogging for over five years. "I love it. Blogging enables me to speak my mind, on my own terms, on my own turf. Blogging has opened amazing opportunities beyond the boundaries of my community. Blogging has enabled me to meet some pretty amazing peeps and form friendship with people I may never meet in person."
Becky's two main blogs are Franticmommy and Lakes Area Mom Squad. "Franticmommy is a humorous look at the trials and tribulations of parenthood. Lakes Area Mom Squad is mainly about shining the spotlight on Moms-in Business."
You can connect with Becky via her blogs: 
Franticmommy Lakes Area Mom Squad, LAMS CommunicationsAudrey Press; Facebook; Twitter; Pinterest; or Email.

I asked Becky a little more about herself. Here is what she had to say about her work and her kids'schooling.


"I am WAHM (Work At Home Mom) and very proud of that fact. After 30 years (yes, I am 46)  in the meat grinder known as The Office Products Industry I switched gears completely and decided to pursue my love of social media, blogging, and writing. I am a full-time Virtual Assistant, which means I work virtually from my home for other companies like Audrey Press (a children's book publisher) BeHeard Communications, Storkbrokers (an on-line marketplace for moms) and Celebrationz4U (an on-line party supply and event planning company. I could go on for DAYS about the joys of working from home, but I won't. I will say this; the best thing about working from home is that the kids can be around me whenever they/want need. The worst thing about working from home is, the kids can be around me whenever they want/need. It's a tricky and delicate balance, but I wouldn't trade it for the world."

" The kids go to traditional school and my husband is a EA (Education Assistant) for their school as well. This summer has been the first summer EVER that I am home full-time with the kids. There are moments I want to run away and join the circus, but overall it has been amazing. We decided early on we would have a No Bummer Summer and so far it's working GREAT."

Here's a few more questions before we get to the 10 Super Questions.


Since you've become a parent, what advice would you give yourself, if you could go back in time (to before you had kids)? Save more money!! Money is not power, money is freedom. Financially I would have loved to quit my yucky job sooner so I could be there more for our kids during their early school years. I believe The Season of Parenthood goes sooooo fast. I think all parents should relish every moment and be involved with your kids as much as humanly possible. This is just my personal opinion. Every family is different.

What is your most proud moment as a parent? I bawled my tail off both times our kids graduated from Kindergarten. I think it was at that moment that I realized they were growing up and wouldn’t be my “baby” anymore. 

What do you think is the ideal age to have children? Well, I think this is a hard to question to answer because everyone is in different places in their life at different times. From a personal angle hubs and I got married at 22 and didn’t feel “ready” to have kids until we turned 30. THEN life threw us a curveball called Infertility and it was 7 long years before we became parents. Our youngest was born the day after my 40th birthday and I honestly, I wouldn’t change it for the world. 

10 Super-Questions

1. How is your family traditional? How is it untraditional? I think we are traditional. Love covers a multitude of oddities :-)

2. Does your actual parenting style differ from what you thought it would be before you had children? If so, how? I think you parent based on how you were raised. You pull the good (and bad) from that experience and try do it better for your own kids. We also want only the best for our kids no matter what. I have many, many “holy crap! I’m turning into my Mother!” moments. It’s just part of the gig.


3. What was the best mothering advice you ever received and who gave it to you? Allow lots of time, have lots of patience, and give lots of love. Oh, and carry lots of Kleenex.

4. What was the most surprising thing you learned in the first year? That moms don’t die from lack of sleep and how fast I can eat supper standing up.

5. Has your view of the world changed since you became a parent? If so, how? I realized how precious and magical little kids are. They are the most fascinating little humans I have ever met.

6.  What is something that you have learned about yourself since becoming a parent? My patience sucks! And all my weird little habits (like twisting my hair and chewing my fingernails) are being picked up by the Little People in my home. Doh!

7. What about your child(ren) reminds you of  yourself?They are creative and curious just like me. I love that. :-)

8.  If you could have any super power, what would it be? Honestly, I’d be invisible. Then I could smack the crap out of people who abuse children and not get arrested. Is that harsh? ;)

9. If an alien came from space and asked you what a "mother" is what would you say? I would say a Mother is like a glue. We are the strong bond that holds a family together. I would also add that Parenthood is like peeling an orange with a screwdriver. But in reality, it’s a friggin alien and he wouldn’t know what the heck glue and oranges were anyway!

10. What annoys you most about other mothers? OK..here’s my rant. I have a real issue with moms who dump their kids at the playground and then sit ½ block away under a shaded tree texting. Really? 

Thank you so much, Becky! I really enjoyed your answers and getting to know you a little better!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback from my readers!
Please feel free to leave a comment or share your ideas!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...